Back in June before my daughter left for Navy basic training we decided it was time to start planning and building a shed to clear out all of the garden paraphernalia out of the garage.
The daunting part was getting permission from the HOA and permit from the city. The guidelines were not bad after we made a call to find out what we needed to do. Since we are just DIYers reading the property blueprints and trying to figure out where the property line is was a bit of a headache for us. Our property is a pie shape butted up against three neighbors with a t-box behind the properties. Since we couldn’t figure out the scale on the blueprints we had to use the dimensions given and measure off of our house so we would be well within the guidelines set by the HOA and city.
Since all the properties on the golf course are open with no fencing we have to show what the structure will look like from the t-box, neighbors and front street. We roughly marked out the area with posts and string. My husband had to stand next to it so I could take pictures, otherwise the area marked out was not visible.
It’s an area that was thick with vegetation. The former owners had planted Azaleas, Camellias and other perennials. It is also home to three good sized Oak trees. We mostly ignored it when we first moved in. It was too hard to move through. Hurricane Ivan cleared a lot of it out and we lost a very large Oak tree in the back. It continued on it’s own. A few times a year my husband would work his way in a few feet and clear stuff back with the weed eater.
We got our approval and started clearing vegetation to make way for the foundation. All together I think it took us about 6 days in all to clear the entire area of weeds, vines and four Azaleas that were in the way of where we wanted to build.
We mixed in some fun like babysitting my grandson. I think my daughter probably misses him the most and he doesn’t quite understand where his Auntie Evie is.
Both of my youngest kids have helped out with this project. My daughter and I did most of the clearing with a final push from my husband towards the end. Invaluable help and the scars and memories will last forever.
After watching quite a few videos on foundations for sheds my husband and I decided to go with one demonstrated by Jon Peters from YouTube.
I’m really condensing what we did-the video was a great tool and his directions and guidance are superior to what I could restate here. We cut the 4x4’s level with the 2x6’s.
Next came the lag bolts.
Even though we are using pressure treated lumber we decided to keep the area covered with a tarp to help keep the area dry. It’s a good thing we did because the rains started without abatement after we got the foundation finished.
Time for the joists. We took a mini break and built this handy garden cart-another Pinterest inspired project. It needs some tweaking after using it, but it really has turned into a handy item.
2x6’s, 16 on center with some blocking to follow. We staggered the blocking to make it easier to attach to the joists.
Then it was time for my baby girl to go.
She wore her tattered, paint stained shorts to leave in. I wasn’t happy about it at the time, but writing this post it warms my heart that she did.
My husband and I finished up the foundation with pressure treated plywood. That’s where the project stopped for awhile. The rains started and my husband needed a break so his broken rib would heal. A final day of playing in the pool and too much roughhousing from my daughter.
We have four walls framed. The two larger walls are under the tarp outside and the two smaller ones are inside. The final dimensions will be 12’x8’ which is plenty of room for our garden equipment. We need to make a few more decisions before we lift the walls in place. I sure wish my baby girl was here to help us with it.