Monday, March 25, 2013

Decoupage With Resin

resin frames
I originally bought resin to play around with in my jewelry projects.  I tried out a few molds and didn’t care for the results in consideration of the effort put into it.   I packed away my supplies of the stuff until I had inspiration to use it again.
A few years ago…seems to be a trend here…I had the idea of changing some very ugly letter blocks into some heirloom art for my daughter.  I printed off some images of my grandmother, mom, daughter and I with Lazertran paper.  I had already painted the surface an off white cream color and pasted down some French calligraphy  scrapbook paper.  The Lazertran paper allows the image to be transparent for layering different images or textures.  I was okay with what I had.  I needed more frou-frou.  I scrounges around my stuff and found some Victorian images made for decoupage.  Again it was an okay moment.  They needed more…stuff.  So I began the process of gluing beads down.  Some areas were quite dimensional and did not feel secure enough for me.   I remembered the resin and figured all I had to lose was some time if it went south on me.  I think they came out beautifully.  I’m not quite done with them.  I need to finish the sides and they will be ready to be hung.
resin frames
The height of the beads on some areas are quite high, but the resin has made them sturdy and secure.
resin frames
While I had the resin supplies out I decided to go ahead and play around with it some more.  I had some old glass…vases…candle holders that my mom had put gold foil on and antiqued.  They were fine-they didn’t bother me, but I certainly didn’t ‘love’ them.  At the time I could only fine one of the two so I can show you a pretty good before and after shot.  Just simply decoupage over the existing finish with napkins and sealed all around with resin that was brushed on.  I also had a set of vases on stands.  There had been three, but breakage brought that number down to two.  I decided to go ahead and match them to what I thought at the time was the single vase and give them to my daughter for makeup brush storage.
resin decoupage
resin decoupage
I made more than I needed, and out of curiosity I grabbed a little cardboard box off of my shelf and gave it a coating of resin as well.  I think soap came in it at one time.  It worked great and makes the little box feel more substantial.
resin topcoat
resin topcoat
I have plans to refurbish my kitchen countertops with paint and some bar top resin.  It just a matter of time.  All depends on when my husband and myself work up the courage to give it a go.

If you like this, you may also enjoy:
Making It Pretty 

No comments:

Post a Comment