A few years ago I spotted a lovely, old coffee table put on the curbside for trash pickup. It was too heavy for me to pick up and put into my car trunk so I had to call my husband to hurry up and come pick it up for me.
It sat in our garage for months. I couldn’t decide what I wanted to do with it. I had wanted to paint it white, but it seemed a shame to cover solid oak with paint. Eventually my husband started to sand it down (I think in an attempt to save it from a white paint job). He partially finished the job and hauled it upstairs into our storage area to get it out of his way.
I came across an interesting method to transfer toner ink images with heat on to wood from Pinterest. I was sold. I flipped through images I had gathered from the Graphics Fairy and came up with what I wanted. I was a bit nervous about it because the only images I came across that successfully transferred were black and one of my images had some color in it. I tested a small area on the table that would not be seen with an intricate image just to see how fine the detail would come out and how long to heat the area.
I used my Creative Hotmarks tool and a laser image. I taped one side of my paper so I could lift and check out how the image was being transferred without losing my placement. I learned a couple of things. If you let the paper cool down it will stick. The hotter the tool is the quicker the image is transferred and the less pressure is needed to get a good transfer. I ended up working in small areas so I could lift the paper to check the transfer and insure it did not stick to the wood. A very quick process and satisfying as well. An important reminder is to make sure your image is reversed!
I am very happy with the results and even more please with the faded colors on the bird-I think it adds to the vintage look that I was hoping for.
I left the stain choice to my husband. He was more than willing to let me experiment on this little gem of a table. He was a little territorial with the piece-I guess the sanding he did on the table added to his interest in what I did with it. He headed out and picked out his stain and was more than happy to let me finish up this project.
I was a little nervous about the image being lifted up or smudged when I applied the stain and seal. There were no problems and I think it turned out very nice.
It would have been nice if I had remembered to erase my pencil mark I drew in to center my image. I honestly did not notice it until I took the final pictures. I guess my attention was on whether or not the image looked right. Ah well live and learn. I got a thumbs up from my youngest son-he is happy with the results and I believe he thinks the table will be his at some point. He finished up the final sanding his dad left and I think the ownership he has is justified.