Friday, June 1, 2012

There’s No Place Like Tennessee

I love visiting my mom.  She lives in North East Tennessee.  I think it's one of the most beautiful places I have been.  She has an amazing garden and home.  I love seeing in person what she has been up to.
034
Happy Clematis
030
Mom's garden
064
The Chester Inn
We always make it a point to go poke around the antique and junk stores in her area.  My husband always gives me a bigger budget than I think I will use and most of the time I hover right around the number he gives me.  We headed over to Jonesborough this time around in addition to our normal haunts.  Since it was Memorial Day we pretty much had the downtown to ourselves.  We didn’t spend as much time as I would have liked-one tired grandma and a cranky teenage boy cut it short.
082
Fields of Rhododendrum bushes dripping with buds ready to bloom on Roan Mountain
I fed them some lunch and dragged them to Roan Mountain.  It’s one of those signs I had passed by for years on the way to my mom’s home.  My mom was telling me that the mountain was covered in Rhododendrons.  I had never heard of that so I was pretty excited to see it.  I got even more excited when we found out that they hold a Rhododendron Festival every June.  We were a few weeks early, but I thought since it had been a mild winter we might be able to see some blooms.
076
Water wheel at the visitor's center

It is a beautiful drive up the mountain.  The traffic was heavy with cars, motorcycles and hikers.  My mom was pretty much exhausted by the time we made it to the top, but she persevered down the handsome paths to one of the overlooks.  A spectacular view, but the bushes were not in bloom.  It was still a treat to see what a nice job has been done to allow visitors access to this wonder.

084
Walking path on the way to the parking lot

No comments:

Post a Comment