Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Kitchen Part 2

After fixing my walls and finally getting them painted we hit a stopping point.  We had a family issue that was involved so the kitchen sat partially painted for about a year.  When I say partially painted I mean the kitchen was painted and it stopped at the connecting points to the living room. 




The Living Room as it looked during our house hunting
The living room has (present tense) a coordinating border to match the former kitchen wallpaper.  The border is not (thank you Jesus) glued directly to the drywall.  It does have the properties of the backing paper not wanting to release from the wall.  In another *testing* area I found that some spackle used along the edge of the border sanded down smooth along with the Zinnser Shieldz used over all of it was and is my best option for dealing with that future problem.

My next project was to paint the cabinets.  I would decide to do them and then change my mind.  I would then see another glorious after photo on a blog and want to tackle them again.  I finally decided on using the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations kit.  I was so happy with the performance of the Zinsser Shieldz, which is also made by Restoleum, that I thought I couldn't miss.  Well I did miss.  It just did not work for me.  At first I thought it was the deglazing product they provided so I bought another brand.  I worked with it for a day, but it just did not work out for me. 

Another picture from our house hunting trip

What I finally found that worked for me were these products.  Krud Kutter is the best product out there in my opinion for cutting grease.  I can only find it in the paint section of my big box stores.  I used that stuff straight and rinsed it off.  I then followed that with a cleaning with vinegar.  I read about Sherwin Williams PrepRite ProBlock bonding primer online.  People were using it to paint laminate countertops, laminate cabinets and more.  I thought it ought to work out great on wood cabinets.  It does-it went beyond my expectations.  I haven't had any issues with it not sticking to my glossy finished cabinets.  I then used Glidden which is my paint of choice.  I also used a sampler can of brown paint and a can of glaze.  It's the right proportions-a no brainer which is right up my alley.  I still have a few cabinets and drawer fronts to go.  I did my kitchen in stages so we could still kinda function like a family.  I kinda got sidetracked tiling a backsplash in 1/2 of my kitchen, but that's another post!  The dramatic 1/2 done after :
My mom would *cringe* if she knew I published 1/2 done!


No comments:

Post a Comment