Friday, May 4, 2012

Current Obsession

My current obsession is my new Silhouette Cameo.  I had seen the Cricut while perusing my local craft stores.  I never got into buying die cut machines.  I fell away from scrapbooking when my mom was sick.  My kids got into my stash and continually kept ruining things when I was out of town.  It's hard to get back into a hobby when your stuff has been pillaged.  I loved the idea of it all, but I just didn't want to buy into all the cartridges and continued added expense of it.  I kept seeing other blogs feature this machine and offer giveaways for it.  I was intrigued when I saw the demos of it cutting fabric, vinyl, and transfer paper.  So I did what I normally do when I want to check something out.  I found it on Amazon and read the reviews.  There is a great review on there from a non scrapbooker.  I showed hubby and he said it look like a great tool.  The magic word *tool*. 
We are wannabe tool hoarders.  We have our fair share, but we lack in all the really cool tools.  So I went for it and it has been one of the best purchases I have ever made.  I downloaded the software before my *tool* was even shipped.  I would say overall the design software is fairly user friendly.  I did take a class on Jessica Sprague to help me fully understand what this thing can do.  It was the second one in the series for the Silhouette.  Many useful tips on how to design on your own.  I probably should take the first class and see what I missed out on, but I'm too busy right thinking of things I need to make with it.  My daughter is afraid I'm going to cover everything in cute vinyl sayings....as if!


Awkward before photo
One of the things that pushed me over the edge of buying one is my front door surround.  Last summer I had painstakingly hand cut out stencils for the little windows.  I then painstakingly painted my designs.  I say painstakingly because I chose to go the intricate route.  I'm not sure it was worth the effort I put into it.  During a spurt of cabinet priming I decided I may as well paint my front door white.  Why not get a little more done before I washed out my paintbrush?  Why bother taping off my windows when I'm an expert at cutting in?  That lasted about a minute until I slopped some primer on my intricate stenciling job.  I thought to myself no big deal-I can do it over again.  Too many paint fumes I guess.  When I got around to finally scraping off my windows (don't ask) I remarked to my husband how *nice* it was to see outside those tiny little windows.  He agreed (we've been married long enough for that). 
Then Cameo came on the scene.  After much thought I decided to go with black vinyl.  I'm happy with the results, and it was so much easier with this machine.  ~Dramatic~ after photos:
Top of the front door from the outside
Side windows

My cool personalized computer vinyl

 

No comments:

Post a Comment